Monday 7 November 2011

Quotation Station 7 November 2011 - Stephen L Carter on Books

Quotation Station was a series of occasional postings I began elsewhere which, as the name implies was just a place to post various quotations which I though were interesting, humorous, apt or, mainly, just thought-provoking.

I think it`s time to re-incarnate Quotation Station, so here`s one I found earlier today  ;

"Have you ever thought about the importance of books to democracy ? I have in mind not just literacy, or reading, but actual, physical books. I have been giving the matter a lot of thought lately, trying to understand why democracy spread as books spread, not as literacy spread; and why, as books decline, the respect for the opinions of others that lies at the heart of the democratic process also seems to be dying..."

Stephen L Carter , found at www.stephencarterbooks.com/blog , 19 June 2009.

Stephen Carter sounds an interesting figure. An African American academic and expert on American constitutional law, he is a noted newspaper/magazine columnist and social commentator. He is also a best-selling novelist and writes a blog about sport for the Washington Post.  A Christian of liberal leanings, his non-fiction has attracted praise from across the political spectrum.  He has commented "I believe in words. I believe in books. When I write non-fiction I am hoping to persuade. When I write fiction I am hoping only to entertain."

I must admit I know little else about him, but I like his style - I like anyone who refuses to be pigeon-holed and I would applaud him for that alone !

No comments:

Post a Comment